Sorry I write so much/ Dunking in church clothes

 This week was so much fun. We played basketball on pday with 2 other elders that are actually good, chair soccer with the the young men (I played really good which was weird cuz I suck at soccer), and we found out something that happened at the church every Monday Wednesday and Friday mornings. Church. Basketball. As missionaries we're really only supposed to play half court basketball but we got to play full court with these older guys. There is a God.


We also got to do some fun service. We're helping this one bishop build a house. He doesn't have us do anything too major but I got to put in insulation which was fun but gave me a rash from my wrists to my elbows. We also got to help set up this last eagle scout ceremony thing. We were asked to clean up the pavilion, set up the tables and decorations, and then serve the food (with masks and gloves, mom) with the people who brought it. It was like a dream come true for me though because the lady in charge, sister gray, would ask us to do something and I'd rush to go do what ever she asked. I got to know the kids there and talk with some members, it was a lot of fun. While we were serving the food, I noticed this one kid which, not to be offensive, I believe had some kind of disability. He only wanted a roll when he came up in line to get food, so I made sure he got one. We called for seconds and he came back up and got another one. After that, my companions and the 2 other food servers got to make our own plate of food. I noticed there was just enough rolls for all those who served the food. I kept thinking about this kid and figured he'd want another one. So I walked over to him (and at this point he was eating parts of his mom's roll) and offered him my roll. He took it and seemed really happy to have another one. It was so sweet to see how his face lit up when I offered it to him. That just goes to show how important it is it to do the little things in life to make someone else happy. It was a tiny, tiny, tiny sacrifice, if you can even call it a sacrifice on my part, but my "sacrifice" gave joy to that kid.
 
We can apply this same thing to when we make sacrifices that the Lord asks us to make. It could be paying tithing, going to church, taking time out of your day to serve someone, or to forgive someone whose wronged you. No matter how large or small the sacrifice may be, the Lord will "pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10 & 3 Nephi 24:10)

Rilie/Sister Church/Hermana Iglesia had emailed me this week and told me there was another shooting and about her concern for this country because there's so much hatred. I felt inspired by her concern and desire for peace, so I created this post to share on Facebook and I wish I could share it with more people. So here it is (and also thanks to all those that shared it):

We live in a country of darkness. There is so much hatred, confusion, unnecessary shootings, riots, different opinions, etc. Many people would agree that there should be an end to this hatred, but you cant expect hatred to cease by creating more hatred. 

The Savior teaches us:
   34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
(John 13: 34)
AND
   14 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
   15 Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house;
   16 Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
(3 Nephi 12: 14-16)

We are all born with the light of Christ. When we follow the Savior's example and love one another, we share that light. When this pandemic started, missionaries of our church all over the world have been sent back to the U.S. and reassigned to one of the states. Yes, they were sent home because of COVID, but also because this country needs more light. As missionaries, we try to spread joy or the light of Christ with everyone. It doesn't matter what race, age, political stance, whatever else it may be, we just want people to be happy, just as the Savior teaches.

Let your light so shine, be an example, love one another. 🕯❤

Love 
Elder Garrick 

One funny thing that happened, Elder Maughan didn't know Stevie Wonder was blind till I told him the other day. That's why I included a picture of him, not because he's blind and only sees darkness.









My phones acting up but there's pictures of the mountains and river in the canyon where we are helping with the house and the eagle scout court of honor. Also the decorations from the eagle scout court of honor. There's a pic of me wearing my pimp jacket putting in insulation to prevent rashes but it didn't help too much. And me dunking with a soccer ball at the soccer activity (it's all we had, I'll get a new video when we have basketball camp this Saturday)









Comments

Popular Posts