The Holy Breakfast Club

The Week

Kind of a slow week with lots of exchanges with other elders. There was one day I didn't see my companion from noon till 9:30! I went on 2 Spanish exchanges in Provo and it went well. Didn't do much Spanish speaking but I got to give a blessing and see Jillie and Tennyson "on accident." Also, I don't like Provo one bit. At least not as a missionary haha.

I was so grateful that this Sunday was Fast Sunday mainly because I left my wallet in Provo haha. So I was grateful I didn't have to waste any of my food on Sunday cuz I wont be buying anything this week. Also, I was so grateful to bear my testimony in a couple wards and hear from others what they believe. The Spirit was so strong in all these meetings and I was glad to be a part of that.

Later this Sunday, we attended mission prep with the juniors and seniors. They had this activity where they share personal experiences about faith and WOW! I was blown away by their experiences and testimonies. I described it as a "holier version of The Breakfast Club" but only the parents of the house we met in got the joke hahaha.

Our Bible basher friends, the Cernyars, gave us a referral for their friend who is dying to have missionaries come over. Turns out, she's just like them and to make it better, her dad is a pastor at some church he made that the Cernyars attend haha. The daughter however wants to learn "the truth" and will actually listen to what we have to say. It was a great experience and I'm excited to keep teaching her

Spiritual Thought

I've been reading in Mosiah in the Book of Mormon and I really love when King Benjamin speaks. One of the things he says in verse 41 of chapter 2:

41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

This is one of my dad's favorite verses in the Book of Mormon and as I read it, I wondered why this is my dad's favorite. Theres so many great scriptures in the Book of Mormon, what makes this one so special and meaningful to him? Now I don't know the exact reason but this is what I learned as I asked this question in my heart and reread the verse. 

First, King Benjamin talks about the blessings and happiness we receive from keeping the commandments. My dad has always taught me to keep the commandments and when I struggle, he'd be there to help me so I can improve and be better. He wants the best for his children and wants them to receive all the blessings and joy we can receive. Second, King Benjamin says that if you hold our faithful to the end, you will dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. Of course my dad wants that for his children but the more I thought about it, I thought about his dad and my Grandpa G. I'm sure this verse brings him the same peace it brings me when I read it and think about Grandpa G. He is a perfect example of keeping commandments, holding out faithful and enduring to the end. He served the Lord till the very end and because of that and from the knowledge we have from this verse and the plan of salvation, we know that he is in a state of never-ending happiness. He is patiently waiting for his family to come home so that we can all dwell with our Heavenly Father again

Love 
Elder Garrick 



Comments

Popular Posts