8/24 Kobe Bryant Day

We went to Walmart at the beginning of the week and I saw someone very familiar. It was my friend, Creed from basketball camp (and my last email)! I waved to Creed and he just stared and waved back a little. He didn't recognize me in my white shirt and tie and mask, so I lowered my mask and waved again. His eyes got bigger and he ran up to me and gave me another hug  like last time haha. Im glad were gonna do the camp again in 2 weeks, I love that kid.


Kind of a slow week. Lots of lessons cancelled, our friends got transferred away, basketball camp had to be rescheduled, not many service opportunities, etc. On the plus side I have gotten to know my comps a lot more and have fun with them.

Although we had lessons get canceled, we did get to have 2 lessons this week with this woman, Tawnie. I think I've talked about her before when we first taught her. She's a mother of 3 adorable kids and is deciding which church to join. We've taught her about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Plan of Salvation, and the Restoration and she's been absorbing all the information really well. She takes notes and asks questions. She believes she's on the right path and we know she is, too.

This week, all three of us gave talks. I gave a talk about service. I talked about Thomas S Monson's example of serving the widows in his ward and how I followed his example during my senior year. I talked about giving the flowers to Sister Gilpin who had recently lost her husband and how much our note and gift meant to her. I also talked about another time I got to serve a family in my ward and bring them a gift basket so they knew that we were there for them and thinking about them. I talked about how we all have talents we can use to serve others. I believe basketball and teaching basketball is a talent I have been given and I'm grateful that I can use it on my mission to see His children.
I also talked about about Jackson. Dang it Jackson, you really know how to make me tear up in front of people haha. I talked about how Heavenly Father has given me this blessing to help and serve Jackson his whole life and how Jackson serves me by his example. And don't worry I let them know that you're a better shooter than me.
At the end of my talk, the bishop of that ward talked for a few mins about what I had just said and he said how impressed he was of me (it was kind of weird sitting there behind him when he said that to the congregation not gonna lie). I was only a priest when I did these acts of service to the widows, the family who had lost a cousin, and other people in my ward. He said that usually those responsibilities would be assigned to the bishop to reach out to these people, but a priest aged young man decided to take it upon himself to gather the other priests, and serve others. It made me feel really good that I was appreciated by someone who hardly knows me. He emphasized that we all have a roll in serving others, it's not just all on the bishop. Anyone can do it. When we serve others, we will receive blessings in our life and those that we serve will be filled with the light of Christ.

(I wrote this next part earlier in the week before my talk, sorry if I repeat myself)
I saw a quote this week by President Thomas S Monson:
"Where there is suffering, I would like to be there to lend a helping hand."
I've always looked up to President Monson's example especially since I started really preparing for a mission around my junior and senior year. I learned about his service with the elderly and widows he knew. I was inspired by that and began serving the widows in my church back in Texas and serving some elderly or ill people that were unable to attended church each week. Sundays were my favorite days because I had all day to go out and serve with my "companions" at the time which included my parents and the other young men and women of the church. Service is the main reason I wanted to serve a mission. I don't know everything about the gospel, but I know I can help others just by being their friend, serving them and comforting them. We don't need to preach everything we know to someone to try to help them come into Christ. We can help them by just being a friend, a good example, and serving them, just the like the Savior did. He was the greatest teacher not only with His words, but also through His actions. We should strive to be more like Christ. I think of Rilie/ Sister Church's bracelet she always wears that says WWJD HWLF- What Would Jesus Do? He Would Love First.
Be like the Savior, love others, be their friend, comfort those that stand in need of comfort, serve them.

Love
Elder Garrick

PS
Please keep my friend Sebastian in your prayers. Pray for comfort and guidance in his life. Thanks!


1 and video. We went to a youth waterslide activity but we were overdressed. We did slide down the hill on ice blocks tho
2. Golfing last pday (I mainly just drove the cart around)
3. Sunday after all our talks
4. What happens when our lessons gets canceled 









Comments

Popular Posts