Basketball camp πŸ€

 The basketball camp went great! We didn't have too many show up for the younger session but we had a decent turn out for the older. It was lots of fun I got to know all the kids and have fun with them, show them new drills, do drills with them, dunk for them and we shared a spiritual message at the end of each one. We had some non members show up and gave out a book of mormon but really we just wanted to make connections and we did. We had some girls from the high school basketball team come and help which was nice and some other elders we do service with a lot, too. One of my favorite kids ever was this 6 year old, the youngest kid in the first session. His name was Creed (best name ever) and he was so happy to be there. He was lots of fun to work with and he made us all laugh. He couldn't play basketball but he kept trying so hard it was so awesome. At the end he kept thanking us and even gave me a hug  basically around my knees haha. We later found out he was adopted, but we gave him and his mom a book of mormon because they're non members and he said he wanted to come back again! Sounds like were gonna be doing this again in 2 weeks!


Doing all these drills that I've learned at school, AAU, and from my dad brought back some memories. I remember my dad and I shooting in the church when I was really little and he promised me donuts if I made left handed layups and I did cuz I was a big boy back then haha. I did lots of those drills that he taught me like dribbling while counting the coaches fingers, ready stance, and landing like an eagle. I'm very grateful for him and all that he has taught me about basketball, the gospel, and life.

Speaking of fathers, I was reading in D&C 18 and verse 15 had me thinking. It says, "save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy." We are called on missions to teach God's children to repent and return to our Heavenly Father. I'm sure Heavenly Father would want to be here on Earth with all his children to help them, love them, and protect them, just as any father would. But that wasn't part of the plan He created for us. He sent us to Earth to become better people, to learn and to grow. He hasn't left us alone though. He sent His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to show us the way back to Him. He also gave us the gospel of Jesus Christ, families, friends, the Book of Mormon, etc. And back to the scripture, if I only have the chance to bring one person into Him, whether that be in Utah or Peru, I know that He and I will rejoice knowing that that person is on the path back to our Heavenly Father. That's why He has called me and many of my friends to do this work, to help His children that he loves so much return to Him again.

Each Sunday we go to mission prep to help out or teach the youth. Here's just some things I learned:
- Seek the spirit, don't wait for it to come to you.
- See others as Christ sees them. You can't teach someone you don't love.
- If there's someone you don't love, you cant fully love God.

We had this random referral pop up on our phones the other day, first one I ever got like that, so we called them up. Elder Maughan called this lady and she wasn't understanding what he was saying and vice versa. She spoke Spanish so I asked for the phone. I tried my best to communicate with her and see if she was interested in Spanish. Turns out she was from Arizona and wasn't interested but she was very nice especially with my rough Spanish. 

We got news about the temples. I'll be able to get endowed on Sept 4 with my parents! Our mission president is super nice and super cool so he's trying to get our parents to come with all of us unendowed missionaries. 

One more thing, I'm gonna be the new Facebook admin for my zone so that'll be cool. Still trying to figure out Facebook but that's ok. Go like the Church of Jesus Christ in Price page por favor

- Γ‰lder Garrick

1. Pday last week- Moab hummer tour with some of the district
2. Us moving a box spring from Price to Huntington (about 30 mins) so I don't have to sleep on the floor anymore
3. Big box spring in our small car
4. District sushi lunch
5. One of the many beautiful sunsets we have here
6. Worst quality pic of all those who helped me out at the basketball camp 
7-11. Some drills at the basketball camp (including ready stance)


 
















Comments

Popular Posts