Don't compare yourself to others

 Welcome back


What a longgggggg and pretty stressful week! Had to drive down to Provo to get my car checked out and running around doing all these little things but I won't get into too much detail so I don't have to relive it all haha. But even though it's been difficult and exhausting work, we made good progress with our friends, started teaching 3 new people, and I found so much peace at Zone Conference and this past Sunday. One of my biggest concerns on the mission is all these elders saying stuff like "retarded" and "autistic" to each other and it made me upset. Luckily, Elder Arana has worked with special needs kids as well so he doesn't say it but just about every other elder in the mission says it. I've never liked it and finally, our other mission president told all the elders in the mission to stop using that kind of language. I went up to him after the conference and thanked him for saying that and explained why I didn't like when people said it and he put his hand on my shoulder and I could tell he felt my pain. He shared how in his family he has someone that has autism and that his wife used to work with special needs children, too. It was a great moment I got to share with him and I hope the missionaries remember what he said. We wear Jesus Christ's name on our chest every day and we need to be worthy of it. That's all I say on the topic haha

Earlier this week, I was asked to speak at a youth fireside about joining the youth battalion. I was glad I got to share my experiences and preparation that got me to this point. After I went and shared my testimony, the stake president and his wife shared a message. He shared a story about a goal he set for this marathon he was running. He wanted to do it in 3 hours and 30 mins and so he went into the race with that goal. He was on pace but at 22 miles, he was done. He couldn't keep going. He said a prayer and said "Heavenly Father, I'm dedicating this race to you and I trained but I need your help to keep me going" and he said he couldn't explain what happened after that but he immediately got strength and kept going. When he crossed that line the time said 3:30.56. He did it! He accomplished his goal of not passing 3 hours and 30 mins. He was so happy and thanked God for the additional strength. Time passes and the times of all the people who ran the race were posted online. He looked to see where he placed in his age group and there were a decent amount of people who had better times than him. He felt so defeated and disappointed in himself. He had compared himself to the others. But then he remembered that he accomplished his goal and that that was enough for Heavenly Father. He did what he said he would do. Even though it wasn't the best out of everyone, it was his best and his effort. He compared this experience to a young child drawing a picture and handing it to his mom. The mom doesn't know what the picture is but she says "I love it!!" And why does she love it? Because her child made it and he made it for her. Our Heavenly Father loves when we put in our effort and will help us when we need Him. It may not be much sometimes compared to others, but we shouldn't worry about what others have done. We should only care what out Heavenly Father thinks about it and if we put in all out effort, He will be so pleased with us! (Picture attached below lol)

Random but we used Reese's to represent the 3 kingdoms in the Plan of Salvation lesson so if any missionaries are teaching kids, hmu 

This Sunday was amazing and much needed "rest" (I didn't actually sleep but I had more moments of peace) it started off with President Nelson's video about Palm Sunday. I hope y'all all got to watch it if not go check it out. I never thought about Palm Sunday talking about the palms of His hands! Made me appreciate this day even more and I'm excited for this week to remember the Savior's final days and all the miraculous things He did for all of us. This Sunday was fast and testimony for one of the stakes we cover and usually I like to go up and bear my testimony (that changed during the mission haha) but this week I was happy to sit back and listen to others share and listen to what the spirit would have me to know. It was a great meeting and the spirit filled the chapel. We sang "He is Risen" as one of the hymns and the third verse stuck with me. It says, "He is risen! He is risen! He hath opened Heaven's gate." Our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, did everything for us. Because of Him, the gates of Heaven have truly been opened. We are able to follow His footsteps into the waters of baptism, and make covenants so the we can return to our Father in Heaven. He opened the gates to repentance by suffering and performing His Atonement. Because He took upon all of our sins and paid the price for it, we are able to be forgiven through repentance. He has opened the gates of eternal life when He said "it is finished" while He hang on the cross on Calvary. He opened the gates to eternal families and to eternal joy. He has done all of these things, He submitted and humiliated Himself to do the will of the Father, He sacrificed Himself, He took upon our sins, our mistakes, our shortcomings, our faults and flaws, He took those all on Him and was even willing to die for us. And just as miraculous as His birth was, His death and resurrection was just as beautiful and important. Jesus Christ had His agency like all of us. He had the choice to turn and leave the Garden of Gethsemane. He didn't have to go through what He did. And yet, He did. He knew the cost, He knew the price. And He paid it all in full. The price didn't matter to Him. The blood coming out of every pore didn't matter to Him. The nails in His hands and in His feet didn't matter to Him. The bitter cup that He willingly partook and all that came with it didn't matter. All that matters to Him is you. He loves you so much more than we can comprehend. He was willing to do all of this so that you can live with your family and with your Father in Heaven again. He was willing to sacrifice everything for you and He did. He put everything He had on the altar and gave it all away. I am eternally grateful for Him and for His Atonement. I know He lives and I know He loves me. He has shown me time and time again that He lives and loves me. He will do the same for you. Look fo Him in your life. Hear Him. He loves you and knows you. Remember Him this week and remember what He did for you and your loved ones

Love
Elder Garrick



Saw Jillie while down in Provo

Got some juice and here's r mascots with them

What happens on memorial hill stays on memorial hill





Beautiful Utah

A rock I drew on


The Zermatt resort 







Comments

Popular Posts